Call The Callan Law Firm, P.C. Now: (914) 483-7769

Appeal from Virginia General District Court to Circuit Court

1.  I’ve appealed to Circuit Court and want to recover more than I requested in the General District Court (because I was limited by the jurisdictional amount).  Can I do so?

Answer:  If you are the defendant in general district court, Yes; Va. Code Ann. 16.1-114.1 provides, “In any case where an appeal is taken by a defendant the circuit court may direct amendments to increase the amount of the claim above the jurisdictional amount set forth in § 16.1-77“.   If you were the plaintiff in general district court, you may not amend the amount sought above the general district court jurisdictional amount.